Jewellery for Beginners | Term One, 2023
You've always wanted to get a taste of jewellery making!
Try this - make simple rings as a starting project and get to grips with the tools and these techniques - cutting, heating, forming and soldering of metals. Learn roller printing, a fun and quick way to print beautiful textures into metal, or try saw-piercing shapes out of your sheet.
Then experiment with what you can make from a flat sheet of metal as a starting point.
Priority will be given to beginner students. Space permitting, intermediate and advanced students are most welcome, and will be expected to experiment with jewellery making techniques and to grow their understanding of metal forming, heat application and soldering.
Content* Introduction to jewellery tools, their uses and demonstration of specific techniques
* Research, design concepts, drawings, and 3D models created where necessary
* Liaise with other students to advance ideas and share knowledge
* Work on your project in your chosen materials
* Health and safety requirements
* Complete your project
* Document process and completed project/s
* Discussion/feedback on finished works
Objectives* Build confidence in your own creative journey as an artist and acknowledge your own style and artistic integrity
* Develop understanding of how far you can push a design and how far you can push a material
* Learn specific techniques such as saw-piercing, filing, sanding, soldering, cutting, stamping - whichever is applicable to your design
Outcomes* Develop your creative processes
* Gain knowledge of the material/s you wish to use
* Gain knowledge of traditional and non-traditional jewellery making techniques
* Creativity Projects you will be able to work towards include but are not limited to - Level 4 - CP1 Investigate, CP2 Present, CP3 Examine, CP4 Explore Level 5 - CP1 Challenge, CP2 Synthesise, CP3 Apply, CP4 Identify Patterns Level 6 - CP1 Initiate, CP2 Analyse Patterns, CP3 Present
Tutor: Keri-Mei Zagrobelna
- Every Thursday (13 Feb - 31 Mar)
- 9:30am - 4:30pm
- Materials cost: Class Fee - $10 for consumables (gas, etc.) Casual Students: $630.00 + materials
- T2.08 Jewellery
- 11 (Max number of students)
Required Materials:* Visual diary
* Sheet metal and wire as well as solder, sandpaper, saw blades and drill bits can be purchased from the materials shop - some available within class.
* Gem stones - if required (some available from TLC)
* Closed top shoes essential - no jandals or sandals