TERM 2 2023: Centrifugal Lost wax Casting (26-30 June) | Term Two, 2023
Experience all the steps to make jewellery by centrifugal casting; from carving an original from wax, working with plaster to create your mould, kiln heating to divest the wax through to the pouring of liquid hot metal.
Finish your works to make unique wearable pieces. You will have an opportunity to carve, mould and create wax pieces that can then be cast in silver or Shibuichi (copper-silver mix). Lost wax carving offers a great opportunity to carve detailed jewellery pieces or experiment with more organic and alternative forms and folds. It gives good quick results and is fun to play with!
This class follows on well from the Term 2 Thursday Wax Carving class. The preferred casting material is silver so bring your scraps or obsolete silver jewellery to be melted down and/or wax works created earlier in the term.
Please wear protective clothing and bring a dust mask! Full day students only and great for casuals.
Suitable for all levels.
ContentExperiment and learn how to melt your metal in a safe manner and clean the cast object to turn it into a beautiful piece of jewellery.
We will discuss your design and you will receive feedback for the finished work.
Jewellery examples will be presented on the first morning and we will consider the possibilities and limitations of gravity-dependent casting methods.
Please be on time!
Objectives* Build confidence in your own creative journey as an artist
* Acknowledge your own style and artistic integrity
* Develop understanding of how far you can push a design and how far you can push a material
* Play and experiment with the complex texture of cuttlefish-bone in your design, and with other materials for casting
Outcomes* Develop your creative processes
* Gain knowledge of the material/s you wish to use
* Gain knowledge of traditional jewellery making techniques
* Creativity Projects you will be able to work towards include but are not limited to - Level 4 - CP1 Investigate, CP2 Present, CP3 Examine, CP4 Explore Level 5 - CP1 Challenge, CP2 Synthesise, CP3 Apply, CP4 Identify Patterns Level 6 - CP1 Initiate, CP2 Analyse Patterns, CP3 Present
Tutor: Keri-Mei Zagrobelna
- Every Block Week Two ( - )
- 9:30am - 4:30pm
- Materials cost: $10 class fee for consumables (gas, etc.) Casual Students: $360.00 + materials
- T2.08 Jewellery
- 11 (Max number of students)
Required Materials:* Visual dairy
* Closed toe shoes
* Dust mask