Raranga - Weaving Class | Term Four, 2018
Introduction to raranga. Learn basic traditional weaving methods to create a bouquet of flowers and basket with harakeke (flax). In this class you will learn a brief history of sustainable harvesting methods used in Maori culture.
Suitable for all levels.
Content* Introduction to traditional raranga practices and sustainable harvesting of harakeke
* Basic protocol and cultural considerations for the practice of raranga
* Weaving techniques used for creating flowers and introductory basket making
ObjectivesIntroduce basic protocols and practical techniques of raranga.
Outcomes* Gain an understanding of the history, protocols and practices involved in raranga
* Learn sustainable harvesting processes
* Learn weaving techniques, resulting in the completion of a bouquet of flowers and a small basket
Tutor: Kody Loretz
- 1st, 2nd December 2018
- 10:00am - 4:30pm
- Materials cost: 0.00 Casual Students: $75 per day + materials
- 12 (Max number of students)
Required Materials:* A pair of sharp scissors
* Craft knife
* 4 pegs