Drawing the Soul: Faces from Cartoons to Reality | Term One, 2023
Learn how to draw a face!
You could make it a realistic, accurate portrait, or go for fabulous fictional characters - your call.
Try out detailed drawing techniques or more free and stylised approaches.
Find the style which suits you.
Expert tutor Alan Poole will show you how, and then provide one-to-one help for you to get great results.
Suitable for all levels.
Content* Live demonstrations of various methods – detailed constructive methods, minimalist linear approaches, cartoons/comic approaches, tonal methods
* Capture likenesses and convey emotion
* Create compelling/fun stylised faces
Objectives* Learn how to draw the human face in your preferred style
* An improved ability to understand the construction of the face from multiple angles, and not just from mental stereotypes
Outcomes* Improved observational drawing skills regarding the human face
* Learning different drawing techniques and styles
* Improved confidence in drawing methods and techniques to help develop your own style
* Creativity Qualifications - main Creativity Projects covered (others may be covered depending on student project):
Level 4: Investigate - Creativity Project 1, Examine - Creativity Project 3
Level 5: Challenge - Creativity Project 1, Synthesise - Creativity Project 2, Apply - Creativity Project 3
Level 6: Initiate - Creativity Project 1
Tutor: Alan Poole
- Every Wednesday (13 Feb - 31 Mar)
- 9:30am - 4:30pm
- Materials cost: Dependent on what materials are purchased from the materials list Casual Students: $630.00 + materials
- 15 (Max number of students)
Required Materials:* Pencils - HB to 4B
* Visual Diary
* A2 Sketch Pad
* Watercolour Pad A3
* Ink pens – either Staedtler pigment liners or Tikky Graphic Pens. 0.8 to 0.1 nib sizes
* Coates Charcoal 12 Thick Sticks
* Charcoal Pencils – white and standard
* Black and white crayons
* Coloured pencils
* Watercolour Pencils