Open Studio Sculpture | Term Two, 2021
Explore materials and processes relevant to your chosen project. You will be encouraged to observe other processes undertaken by your fellow classmates to gain insight into new possibilities you might wish to explore in the future.
Materials you may be interested in working with are - clay, plaster, cement, cast glass or you can use this day to continue to progress your bronze casting projects begun in the Monday Hot Arts class.
Work with a tutor who actively encourages the cross-pollination of materials, processes and media. If you are uncertain of what you want to do your tutor will assist you to decide on a project to match your areas of interest.
Content* Welcome and introductions
* Basic information regarding studio facilities and best practice guidelines
* Discussion with the group and individually regarding what you want to explore
* Individual and group discussions and demonstrations relevant to the projects which are undertaken
* Reference to other artists who may be of interest to you as your projects progress
* Working on projects to progress your ideas, explore materials and refine your skill set
* Please note: some projects may take longer than one term to complete. You may wish to extend your project across other 3D classes within the same term
Objectives* Explore a set of materials and processes in order to actualise your creative sculptural ideas while using best practice guidelines
* Gain insight into some other artists who are of relevance to your work
* Observe other processes being undertaken in the class by your fellow classmates which you may wish to try out in the future
* Extend your working knowledge of a chosen skillset and incorporate it into your own creative practice
* Create artwork using your chosen materials and processes
Outcomes* A working knowledge of your chosen set of materials and processes as evidenced by the projects you create using best practice guidelines
* An understanding of some other artists working in the same fields as you who are of relevance to your work
* Insight into other processes and the associated materials as are undertaken by your fellow students which you may be curious about and wish to try out in the future
* Insight into your own intuition and preferred ways of working
* An increased range of skills to draw upon as you expand your own sustainably creative practice
* Creativity Projects you will be able to work towards include but are not limited to -
Level 4 - CP1 Investigate, CP2 Present, CP3 Examine, CP4 Explore
Level 5 - CP1 Challenge, CP2 Synthesise, CP3 Apply, CP4 Identify Patterns
Level 6 - CP1 Initiate, CP2 Analyse Patterns, CP3 Present
Tutor: Mel Ford
- Every Tuesday (03 May - 18 Jun)
- 9:30am - 4:30pm
- Materials cost: There is a materials/firing fee of $30 for students wishing to fire cast glass or clay. There is a $10 contribution fee for consumable wet grinding room equipment. Casual Students: $630.00 + materials
- Hot Arts 2 – Ceramics / Wax
- 10 (Max number of students)
Required Materials:This will be dependent on your project. You may wish to discuss this with your tutor prior to class.
You may wish to make a small maquette of your idea first so you could bring plastilina or other suitable materials to explore small versions of your idea on the first day.
There is a materials/firing fee of $30 for students wishing to fire cast glass or clay. There is a $10 contribution fee for consumable wet grinding room equipment.