Open Studio Sculpture | Term Four, 2019
In this open studio style class you are free to explore sculptural processes of your own area(s) of interest. Cast glass, clay, cement, latex, mosaics, plaster, mixed media or bronze are some of the things which you can use. Either create your own project or, if you are uncertain about where to start...your tutor will assist you to shape a suitable project which appeals.
This is a relaxed and friendly class where you will be encouraged to observe what your fellow classmates are doing so as to gain insight into the possibilities of other techniques which you may wish to explore in the future.
Suitable for all levels.
ContentStudents choosing to work on projects with a focus on clay will have attended the beginners ceramics class or have some prior experience. Some projects could take more than one term to complete if they are complex. Maximum weight of cast glass is 2 kg Gaffer glass.
Objectives* Extend your skills to develop a more in-depth working knowledge of a clear set of construction processes associated with your chosen sculptural project
* Follow best practice guidelines for the materials you are working with
* Develop your research skills to enable you to independently source and access information on techniques and artists of relevance to your creative practice
* Be responsive to that which makes you curious
* Strengthen the intuitive response and use this constructively to develop / extend your own creative practice
* Create interesting work that you are proud of from ideas that you have generated
Outcomes* A deeper understanding of the creative processes and techniques associated with your chosen material(s)
* Increased ability to think deductively and respond intuitively to the materials as you progress your work
* Gain confidence and insight into your own creative processes and preferred ways of working
* Create work generated from your own ideas
* Through discussions with your tutor, and your own research, expand your knowledge of other artists who are of relevance
* Gain insight into the possibilities of other materials/ techniques through observation of the projects undertaken by fellow classmates
Tutor: Mel Ford
- Every Tuesday (21 Oct - 06 Dec)
- 9:30am - 4:30pm
- Materials cost: $30 firing fee for students working with clay or cast glass. Please see shop for material prices. Casual Students: $525.00 + materials
- Hot Arts 2 – Ceramics / Wax
- 12 (Max number of students)
Required Materials:* Dependent on your project - discuss this with your tutor prior to purchase of materials
* $30 firing fee per term for clay or cast glass projects
* Clay, plaster, silica, plastilina and alginate are materials you could possibly use. If working with cast glass we use Gaffer Glass
* There are many more material options which you may wish to use. Talk about your project with your tutor prior to commencing it. Many materials are available for purchase at our materials shop. Please check with the shop for current prices