Contemporary Painting and Drawing | Term Four, 2019
What is drawing and painting in today’s age of expansive visual media? It is a vital and powerful medium that helps you manage your creative thoughts and helps you to become an effective communicator.
These classes will help you to bring out your personal language, your story, to the best of your ability while being informed by the contemporary creative practices around you.
These classes are suitable for beginners and those wanting to take their drawing and painting skills to the next level.
Each class will begin with group skills exercises, painting and drawing demonstrations with a presentation of visual references. There will be room in each session to develop your personal work and to gain one to one feedback from your tutor.
Suitable for all levels.
Content* Introduction to contemporary drawing and painting approaches and themes from technique, styles and narrative
* Basic colour theory and different types of paint application
* Learn objective and subjective drawing skills
* Tell a story and develop composition skills
* Explore copyright, appropriation and how to develop your personal style
* Experiment and learn how to make your mistakes improve your work
* Preparation of your surface - from canvas or wood to the non traditional
* Process your painting and drawings for appropriate digital and social media platforms
Objectives* Problem solve technical challenges and be able to manage the development of your painting and drawing
* Traditional and non traditional approaches to painting and drawing
* Explore and develop your own visual language identity
* Be able to discuss your work and process feedback
* Confidently paint and draw with little to no hesitation
* Explore how drawing and painting inform each other
* Gain the skills to read and analyse contemporary paintings
Outcomes* Paint and draw confidently and be able communicate your intention
* Improve your visual communication skills and techniques with the language of painting and drawing
* Sustain the fun factor of drawing and painting while staying connected to your creative community
* Develop your personal visual style and identify your unique creative processes and habits towards making work
Tutor: Kiran Gandhi
- Every Wednesday (21 Oct - 06 Dec)
- 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Materials cost: Dependent on what you will need from the materials list Casual Students: $265.00 + materials
- 15 (Max number of students)
Required Materials:* 2B, 6B pencils, eraser, sharpener, A2 pad
* Acrylic paint sets, jars, assorted brushes
* Gesso primer
* Chalk or oil pastels